Saturday, March 28

the sound of music

does anyone find the method by which we hear strange? i'm listening to some old school dc talk right now, one ear bud in and the other out. clearly, i can't hear anything in my left ear because that ear bud is in my left hand, my finger over the earpiece. i wondered if i could sense the sound coming out of the small speaker, if my fingertip could feel the vibrations. which granted, doesn't make a lot of sense since it's not so much vibrations as it is sound waves.

still, my fingers, or any other part of my body for that matter, can't detect these sound waves. i can put the ear bud up to any part of my body, my hand, my chest, in my mouth, up my nose, but i sense nothing (i'll leave it to your imagination as to whether this was actually tried). except if i put that little piece of plastic in my ear. then suddenly i become aware of instruments, melody and harmonies.

how strange!

1 comment:

  1. hearing is in essense the vibrations of very small hairs rocking back and forth in a cinnamon roll shape tube located in our ear.

    ReplyDelete